Skip to main content

Something Simple for Kids to do for Someone Special

For Valentines Day this year I wanted to do something different, and I wanted it to be a project for the boys (This can of course be done for any occasion or no occasion at all). I talked to them about it and they liked the idea of having a Valentine Brunch for mine and John's parents.  The rule was that it is the BOYS project.  That meant they had to help plan, arrange, prepare and put on the event with as little help from me as possible.

I started off by making invitations.  Since I wanted them to be pretty but simple enough for the boys to do, I got some magazines and had them go through and choose all valentine images, cut them out and glue it to paper leaving no spaces to see the paper.

Then I trimmed them to the size I wanted them to be as well as cutting off the uneven edges from their random gluing.   I then had them glue it to the card stock they chose at Michaels (which I carefully cut to the size I wanted).  While leaving it to dry I had them help me find a font and the wording of the invitations, again it was always their final approval that made the cut.  I then printed it on clear velum, and cut carefully to size.

I then had them cut the ribbon that they, again, chose at Michaels. I allowed them to carefully hot gule it to the dried invitations.

Here's the final result!
I then had them hand delivered it to all the parents, they were so proud of themselves!

Next we worked on the menu together.  They decided that a recipe a friend gave me for a baked french toast dish would be best because they could prep it the night before the big event.

              They then rolled and tied the silverware
On the day of the brunch they simply had to place the pre-prepared meal in the oven.
Because they like to go above and beyond they served the food themselves to each of our parents and removed the plate ware when everyone was finished eating.




Brunch was a success and I know the boys enjoyed every aspect of putting it on themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mr. and Mrs. John Benham!!!

This is the moment we have both been waiting for for years! It was perfection. Nothing short of magical. We had quite a bit of time after getting ready, there were so many emotions, so happy I laughed, so happy I cried. I love these photos and am so happy that every moment was captured.  Can't wait to see the professional ones!                                 Waiting for the go ahead                                         It's time!!                              Everyone ready to come down                                                               Mummy 1st     With this ring...   You may kiss your bride! Ethan is a true romantic.  Whenever we watch movies with happy couples he always says that they are me and John.  For years he has been talking about us getting married. After the ceremony when we came in he was crying.   He said he tried to hold it in as long as possible...                      

Jamaica: How We Surprised The Boys/Video

I have so much going on that I am actually getting things done quicker (you know how that goes). So here are the pics of our last evening and the Vacation video!! Jamaica 2013 from Rebecca Benham on Vimeo . My friends came over after the family pics and we had so much fun reminiscing and catching up. I miss these girls so much, we have so many memories together.

Beautiful Baby Shower

This past weekend was our baby shower!!  We decided to do it a bit early because I am one of those over-organized, over-prepared types.  It was hosted by my best friend Kindle and my sister Bianca. I told Kindle I wanted a slight winter wonderland pink theme since it is so close to Christmas and this is what I walked in to! It was absolutely beautiful, and we were joined by all our best family and friends, we appreciate everyone that made this such a special day for us.  This game was to guess how big I was and believe it or not the winner was Ethan!! He definitely knows his Mummy!  The chocolate diaper game. (It was Johns first shower, he must've thought we were all crazy).  Getting ready for presents!! (The boys got to open them all).  Kindle surprised the boys with a gift each. It was a shirt with their picture saying "I'm the biggest Brother" and "I'm the big Brother" for the hospital. Most thoughtful thing ever!!! I wish I could relive